Lab Safety provides training and guidance on a number of laboratory topics including bloodborne pathogens, hazardous materials shipping, chemical safety, biological safety, select agents and toxins, and controlled substances. In addition to lab safety inspections, Lab Safety also investigates laboratory incidents including fire, spills, laboratory injuries, and any chemical, biological, or radiological exposure.
Green Laboratory Program
Laboratories are the largest consumer of utilities and resources on campus. They also generate a significant amount of waste, both hazardous and non-hazardous. The Office of Sustainability in collaboration with Environmental Health and Safety with support from the Vice Presidents for Research and Financial & Administrative Services have developed a voluntary program called Green Laboratories. Find out more about the Green Laboratory program here.
Chemical Fume Hood
- Testing - Chemical fume hoods are tested by building on a regular schedule to meet proper performance criteria. Hoods are also tested on an
as requested; basis.
- VAV Chemical Fumehoods
Refrigerators and Freezers
- Lab Safe Units
- Laboratory Refrigerator / Freezer Safety Procedures
Contact EHS Labstaff for a Safe Laboratory Refrigerator / Freezer Guidelines magnet (available in two styles):
Name Tag for Compressed Gas Cylinders
EHS can provide a plastic sleeve that holds a Name Tag for compressed gases. Each user can complete and print their own tag by using this template.
Feel free to tag all your compressed gas cylinders, but at a minimum hazardous gases should have an attached tag. Download the tag template (PDF).
- Checklist for new PIs (PDF)
- Contact List for Labs
- Hazardous Chemical SOP Template (DOC)
- Hazardous Waste Disposal
- Lab Attire Policy (PDF)
- Lab Safety Manual
- Pyrophorics Guidelines
- Safe Handling of Piranha SOP (PDF)
- Safety Guidelines for Field Researchers (PDF)
- Vacuum Pump Safety
Lab Safety Posters
Lab Safety Information
- Lab Coat Laundry Service
- 12 Most Common Lab Safety Problems
- Department Specific HazCom Training
- Disposal of Gas Cylinders
- Labeling Hazardous Chemical Containers
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Spill Control Kits
- SDS and Chemical Information
- Training Requirements