Other Laboratory Wastes

I. MOU Glassware

The Texas Department of Public Safety (DPS) and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB) have developed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) as required by the Texas Safety and Health Code. Under the MOU, certain laboratory apparatus is prohibited from being sold or transferred to any person or entity not holding a DPS permit or waiver. Therefore, this laboratory apparatus cannot be sent to Surplus for sale to the public nor can it be given to anyone outside of The University.

The following items are identified by this memorandum (MOU) as controlled:
adapter tubes condensers
distilling apparatus distilling flasks
encapsulating machines Erlenmeyer, two-necked, single neck, round bottom, thermometer, and filtering flasks
filter, buchner, and separatory funnels flask heaters
heating mantles Soxhlet extractors
tableting machines three-necked flasks
transformers vacuum dryers

To dispose of the above listed items, first try to find another lab group at The University that can use them. If that is not possible, contact EHS HazMat Division at 512-471-3511. They can be disposed of in the "glass only" buckets if they are broken and unusable.

II. Broken Glassware

Five gallon plastic buckets are provided to laboratories for the storage and removal of discarded glassware. This program is operated through Custodial Services at 512-471-5072. The buckets are usually identified with a "glass only" label. As the buckets become full, Custodial Services will empty them. Call Custodial Services if you need a bucket for discarded glassware.

Most discarded and empty glassware should be placed into the "glass only" buckets.

DO NOT put the following items into a "glass only" bucket:

  • Intact, empty chemical containers (affix an "Empty" label to the bottle, then place in the hallway or in the regular trash can)
  • Pasteur pipettes - (put in EHS sharps containers)
  • glassware that is contaminated with a potentially infectious material - (put in EHS sharps containers)
  • empty chemical containers that held an acutely hazardous chemical - (dispose of as chemical waste, following EHS procedures)
  • any unbroken and usable glassware listed in the MOU - (carefully break the glassware to render it unusable or call EHS at 512-471-3511 for pick-up)

III. Sharps

For a formal definition of sharps, please see Chapter One, II.E


All sharps must be placed into sharps containers provided by EHS. When a sharps container is ready for pick-up, submit a Disposal Request Form for biological wastes and sharps to EHS. If you need a replacement container, please note this on the form or pick one up at SER 221.

sharps containersEHS currently carries three sizes of sharps containers (from left to right): 8 gallon, 2 gallon, and 1 gallon

  1. Do not fill containers more than ¾ full.
  2. Keep contents of sharps containers as free of chemicals as possible.
  3. To avoid accidental sticks, place needles directly into containers and DO NOT recap, bend, break, clip, or remove needles from disposable syringes.
  4. Do not dispose of sharps containers with the regular trash.

IV. Mixed Wastes

Consult with EHS Radiation Safety by calling 512-471-3511.

Back to Top
Back to Top