Risk assessments and any risk management decisions will only be as effective as the accuracy of the data provided by the users and those conducting the assessments. The basic steps include:
- Identify the hazards – this may not be limited to agents, but can be physical hazards associated with the work.
- Decide who may be harmed, what can harm them and how they may be injured.
- Assess the risks and determine how they can be mitigated.
- Record the findings and create and SOP.
- Review the risk assessment with all parties involved, including all lab staff.