Unmanned Aerial Vehicles

Drone picture facing UT campus
Drone Picture facing UT Texas flag

Drones, Quadcopters, Unmanned Aerial Vehicles

To fly an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) such as a drone (also known as a quadcopter) on University of Texas property or off-campus as part of a university-associated project please complete the steps below:

  1. The University has an online database for submissions. You may attach additional information (maps, drawings, faculty member endorsement, etc.) documents to the request. Use the link to log in with your UT EID and password to submit a flight request.
  2. You must have a UT EID to submit a flight request. If you do not have a UT EID, click here to get one.
  3. Non-UT personnel, contractors and vendors in addition to a flight request are required to:
    • Submit a drone agreement
    • Provide required insurance documentation  
  4. Filming and photography on UT property require approval through University Communications. Guidelines: https://ucomm.utexas.edu/resources/filming-guidelines.
    • Filming and photography on UT property for a UT class project or academic credit the endorsing faculty member should submit an email (utfilming@utexas.edu) for approval.
  5. Off UT Property: Written approval by the property owner must be submitted with flight requests.

University faculty, staff, graduate associates, students, or other conducting operations on behalf the university must submit an application at least two weeks in advance of flight operations. Individuals not affiliated with the university or who are not conducting university sponsored operations must submit a request at least three weeks in advance of flight operations. Any missing information or hold up in providing needed documents will delay processing times.

Read: HOP 8-1070 Unmanned Aerial Vehicles

FAA: Educational Users

If you have any questions related to UAV’s or a UAV flight request, please send an email to uavflight@austin.utexas.edu or you may call (512) 471-8603.