All pools at the University must be permitted through EHS and pay a permit fee. EHS inspects all public pools for compliance with Texas rules and regulations. Private pools will be inspected on an individual basis for safety.
The permitting procedures are as follows:
- For the authorization and permitting to operate a pool on campus, call EHS at (512) 471-3511.
- EHS will inspect your pool before it begins operation.
- When all regulations and requirements are met, a permit will be issued.
- Every pool permit expires at the end of the fiscal year.
- A new permit will be created for all pools at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- The permit must be posted in a prominent location within the establishment.
- Food-Water-Sanitation Fee Memo / Schedule
- Pools will be inspected annually. This inspection is independent from the issuing of the permit at the beginning of each fiscal year.
- Private Pools will be inspected for basic safety by EHS on a modified and individualized basis since Chapter 757 and Chapter 265 only apply to public pools.
- Public Pool Inspection Form (PDF)
- Chapter 265 Texas Pool Rules (PDF)
- Pool Enclosures TX Chapter 757 (PDF)
Pool Safety Tips
- Do not enter head first unless in a pool that has a safe diving area.
- Stay away from drains and other openings that cause suction.
- Avoid swimming while intoxicated or on medication.
- Avoid swimming alone.
- Supervise children when they are in the water.
- Locate the nearest emergency phone and rescue equipment before entering the water.
- Ensure all pools and spas - both in your backyard and any public pool you may visit - have VGB compliant drain covers to avoid possible accidents.