The university through the Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) reviews and authorizes research with recombinant DNA and biohazardous materials. EHS also reviews and assists researchers by inspecting laboratories with compliance with federal and state requirements for biological research including the NIH rDNA Guidelines and the CDC/NIH Biosafety in Microbiological and Biomedical Laboratories (BMBL). EHS provides biosafety training and also manages the university's biological waste disposal program.

Researchers conducting biological research are required to:

  • Register their protocols with the IBC
  • Prepare a biosafety manual
  • Complete appropriate biosafety training
  • Correct all deficiencies identified during their annual biosafety inspection
  • Ensure their biosafety cabinets are certified annually

Emergency Procedures


Bloodborne Pathogens

Researchers and other personnel who work with human and non-human primate's fluids, tissues or cells (including cell lines) are required to takeBloodborne Pathogen training (OH 218) anually and be offered Hepatitis B vaccination free of charge by the University.

Contact OHP for information on the Hepatitis B vaccination.


External Links

Select Agents & Toxins

Research involving select agents and toxins is regulated by the CDC and USDA. View a list of these select agents and toxins. Researchers must notify EHS (Responsible Official) before working with Select Agent or Toxins. Work with exempt quantities of select toxins is overseen by the IBC. Researchers that work with exempt quantities of select toxins must complete an annual self-evaluation.

Equipment and Materials

Training Modules for Biological Research


All training is online except for OH 102, which is taught by the Principal Investigator.

Researchers must complete OH 101, 102, 201, 202 and 207 at a minimum.

Additional Training / Presentations

Biological Waste


Researchers shipping infectious substances or shipping biological material with dry ice must be certified to ship by EHS. Certification requires training by EHS. If you are shipping an infectious substance and are not trained, contact EHS for training or assistance with shipping. If you are shipping biological materials with dry ice, you can take our onlinetraining class to become certified.


Laboratory Acquired Infections


Back to Top
Back to Top